Kayaking is my new favorite activity to do with our family! Kayaking??? Until recently I thought you had to be a super sporty, outdoorsman to kayak. It turns out you do not have to be the great outdoorsman to rent a kayak, strap on a life jacket, and paddle out onto the water with your kids!
Kayak at 3 Different Washington DC Areas on the Potomac River
- Rent single or double kayaks, stand up paddle boards, pedal boats, a giant yellow duck pedal boat, or a giant white swan pedal boat.
- Giant duck/swan are great for little kids to ride in the back seat!
- National Harbor location is a great place to go for a first time out with kids in their own kayak or pedal boat. 3 sides of the water are shoreline and the 4th side is lined with buoys making it easy for kids to know exactly where they are allowed to be.
Great feeling of freedom and independence for the kids!
My 11 and 9 year olds loved captaining their own kayak!
2. Ballpark Boathouse
- Rent single or double kayaks.
- Paddle around the Potomac River while you pass the USS Barry on the pier of the Navy Yard and enjoy the view of the Washington Nationals Baseball Stadium!
3. Key Bridge Boathouse
- Rent single or double kayaks; stand up paddle boards, and 3 person canoes.
Escape the bustle of the city and enjoy the sights of the Potomac as you paddle past Georgetown Waterfront, Roosevelt Island and some of DC's most stunning monuments, or head up river and lose yourself in the serenity of the C&O Canal.
Learn about all 3 of these great places to Kayak at http://www.boatingindc.com/.
Washington DC Kayak, Pedal Boat, & Stand up Paddle Board Rental Prices
$15/hour single kayaks (ages 8+)
$20/hour double kayaks, pedal boats (2- 4 adults +small child)
$20/hour stand up paddle board (ages 8+)
$25/hour giant duck or swan pedal boats (2- 4 adults +small child)
$25/hour 3 person canoe or 2 adults/2 kids
All-day rental rate is 4x hourly rate.
*Don't forget to ask for the $5 military discount per rental*
Additional Discounts for Kayaking in the Washington DC Area
Sign up for Groupon deals for the Washington DC area. They often have a $10/hour deal for all 3 rental places.
Membership is free and Certifikid has great $10/hour deal for all 3 rental places!
Certifikid is a Groupon-like website.
Find more fun things to do in DC!